kinnery, twenty summers old. someday, we'll become birds and snowflakes and dandelion seeds, and we'll fly away on the wind like the vagabond souls we are. take my hand.

kinnery@live.ca

translation

your words snaked around me,
over my belly and ribs and nipples,
up into my hair where they tangled
and then settled into my ear.
"translation: i love you."

in that moment, i hated you.
what's the point of loving me
if it's in a language i don't understand?
i don't speak subtlety, i never learned to converse in
gestures and glances and metaphors.
i couldn't read the exasperation in your sighs
that you now tell me meant i was blind
or deaf, or dumb, or maybe just stupid.

you kissed me on the lips
and stroked my cheek as you stood up to leave.
"translation: i love you."

and suddenly all the gestures became clear
as though i'd carved
my own rosetta stone

1 comment:

remember that you are beautiful. thank you for your thoughts.